Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is the end in sight yet?

On Monday we had our final visit from our social worker. She checked us off for all our baby-proofing, car-seat installation, disaster kit, etc. She also went through about 2 hours of training with us, mostly basic child development stuff but also information specific to raising an adopted, interracial child. One of the things we discussed was the detachment an adopted child can feel from their adoptive parents, even later into their adolescence. Our social worker prepared us for the inevitable "You're not my real parents!" yelled at us at least once. Even though I know not to take something like that personally, just the thought of hearing those words from my child after the all the work we've done & will do for them, broke my heart. Real parents provide for you, love on you and give their hearts to you. I'm doing all those things for my child before he/she even exists. I can't imagine being told I'm not a "real" parent. I had to hold back my tears.

Daylyn told us she'd call in a couple weeks once she'd typed up our full report. We'll go to her office to review everything & sign off on it. At that point we'll have officially passed our home study.

However, today I received an email from Daylyn stating that while our paperwork says we're CPR certified, it does not say that we're First Aid certified. So... we need to take one last class for First Aid only. I basically fell apart. We were so close to the end. Hopefully we can get into a class within the next week or so.

I know the Lord has good and perfect timing. We just need to keep trusting in that especially on days like today when it seems the end will never quite be in sight.