Saturday, February 26, 2011

And then came hope

On Tuesday I received a phone call from our adoption agency... we've been matched with a new birth mom. I'm not sure why I hesitated for several days before posting this news on the blog. I supposed because I wasn't ready to believe it myself just yet. We called a few family and friends that first night, but that was all. I had to laugh because when we told most people their reaction was very much like mine was when I heard. It was something like, "Oh... okaaaaaay....." in a very unsure tone. It was like people weren't sure how we wanted them to react. I get that, and I actually appreciated it more than a jumping-for-joy reaction. Like us, our friends and family simply don't want us to get hurt again, and we love them for that.

So here's what we know...
The birth mom's name is Felicia and she lives right here in Sacramento (a plus for us b/c it saves us a significant amount of money in travel & out-of-state legal costs). She's 21 yrs. old. She is half caucasian and half African-American. This is her third baby. She gave up the first baby for adoption four years ago, her second is her 1yr. old son whom she kept. Her previous pregnancies had no complications. She does not smoke or drink alcohol. She is currently living with some friends, receiving financial & medical assistance from a government program (enough to sustain her so that she doesn't need additional help from us). She is also attending a local career college, pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice. She wants to be a parole officer, turn her life in the opposite direction of her family.

The baby's father is 19 yrs. old. He and Felicia are still friends, but no longer in a dating relationship. He is also the father of their 1yr. old son. He is half African-American and half hispanic. He has already agreed to relinquish his paternal rights to this new child.

We've spoken to her on the phone a couple times since we were matched last Tuesday. She seems a little rough around the edges, but overall a likable person. We will meet her face-to-face tomorrow when we go with her to a sonogram appointment. We'll be finding out if the baby is a boy or girl! Her due date is August 6th, so she's about 18 weeks along at this point.

I'm unsure how to express all the mixed emotions Zach and I are feeling right now. This new match is already entirely different from our experience with Katerina. It's going to take some getting used to. Please continue praying us and for Felicia. I'll write again tomorrow after the doctor's appointment.